Vancouver has no shortage of Italian restaurants to savor authentic Italian cuisine from pastas, pizzas, to cannoli.
Unfortunately, with the multitude of choices, knowing which ones to visit can be tough. We’ve shared our opinions on the BEST Italian Restaurants in Vancouver on this article.
You can’t go wrong with most Italian Restaurants in Vancouver although there are those gems that are absolutely a top 5 MUST-try as far as Italian Restaurants in Vancouver are concerned. This is what we hope to identify on our Best Italian Restaurants in Vancouver article on VancityAsks. As usual, all content on VancityAsks.com are non-sponsored with revenue only coming from Google Ads. (So please unblock your ad-blocker as we take great effort to finding the best of Vancouver to help locals rediscover their amazing city, and visitors to experience the best that Vancouver has to offer.)
Feedback – We encourage you to share your own recommendations in the comments bellow about your favourite Italian food in Vancouver! We’ll be updating the list accordingly. It’ll be great to have the community’s opinion on which Italian restaurants in Vancouver are numbered by your count!
Here are the top 5 Best Italian Restaurants in Vancouver:
(Three are popular favourites, and 2 are up and coming for you hipsters!)
1) #1 Best Italian Restaurant in Vancouver – Nook:
Nook is an authentic Italian restaurant in Vancouver. Customary to any good food, there’s a wait but it’s well worth it. Well-deserved 4.5 star ratings across on Trip Advisor, Yelp, and Zomato. Pasta is made from scratch and fresh ingredients are always used in the kitchen. Nook’s customers know they are getting the best Italian food available in Vancity. What’s interesting is Nook doesn’t take reservations so get there early. Don’t miss a visit the Nook for good Italian food in Vancouver.
“It was so good we had to go back and try something else! Service was friendly, prices were very fair and the food was amazing!” – Shauna P. (Trip Advisor)
Address: 781 Denman St, Vancouver, BC V6G 2L6
2) Lupo: Lupo is a must-try in Vancouver if you’re seeking good Italian food. The restaurant is uniquely set in a heritage house near Smithe Street and Burrard easily accessible downtown. The food has their fans on edge with the carefully crafted Italian cuisine being served up (with a friendly service). Reviewers are closing in 5 stars for Lupo as a Vancouver Italian restaurant. If you’re giving Lupo a visit make sure to go for their freshly made pasta. One of the best Italian restaurants in Vancouver that you absolutely have to savour downtown.
“Right up there with some of the best Italian restaurants I have tried. Pasta dishes were fresh, with creative combinations of ingredients.” – comingforthesun (Trip Advisor)
Address: 869 Hamilton St, Vancouver, BC V6B 2R7
3) Ask for Luigi: Infamously the hole in the wall for Vancouver’s Italian cuisine, Ask for Luigi is a small dining area packed with tables that delivers on its name. The Italian food at Ask for Luigi is as familial as their name. (Closely set, cooking for friends and family with quality ingredients, decisively and thoughtfully put together). It seems as with most good Italian restaurants in Vancouver, Ask for Luigi does not accept advance reservations and is typically packed with a waitlist around. It’s located around Gastown towards East Hastings.
“Visited Ask for Luigi on 23rd August. Don’t be fooled by the location. We knew that they didn’t take bookings and being a little jet lagged we thought we would get there when it opened at 5.30. It didn’t seem like a great part of town but at 5.30pm there were already queues around the block and a waitlist. We were lucky enough to get in however. Service was exceptional. Relaxed, efficient, warm and the food was amazing. The style is quite rustic and the dining room quite small but it works perfectly. We loved it.” – hotski7 (Trip Advisor)
Address: 305 Alexander St, Vancouver, BC V6A 1C4
4) Al Porto Ristorante: Arguably one of the iconic, authentic Italian restaurant in Vancouver; this Italian ristorante is located right by waterfront station. The Italian restaurant which was established since 1978 provides indoor and outdoor seating with delicious, mouth-watering food. I’m a little bias, reminiscence of personal experience. This Vancouver Italian restaurant is almost an establishment with it’s existence since 1978 situated in an old brick building at 321 Walter Street (this is approximately 5 minutes walk from Waterfront) and right in front of the Gastown Clock. It’s very decorated in it’s interior as a true Vancouver Italian restaurant which seems to inspire an cozy, Italian family like experience. Prices at Al Porto are very reasonable for fine Italian food in Vancouver. The food and service is phenomenal; Al Porto also offers excellent wine pairing recommendations for their food upon request. Be warned, as with any good Italian food in Vancouver, the restaurant is always packed with hungry guests and their a refined palate for good Italian food.
“Visitor or local, you will enjoy Al Porto’s menu, ambience and value. Given its location in historic gastown and close to the cruise ship terminal, Al Porto attracts many tourists. As locals, my partner and I have been going to Al Porto for many years and we recommend it wholeheartedly.” – bryanmcgrath2015 (Trip Advisor)
Address: 321 Water St, Vancouver, BC V6B 1B8
5) Don Francesco Ristorante: If you’re looking for good rustic Italian cuisine with family-like service then Don Francesco is the place to go. This fine dining experience features top quality ingredients with “treasured” Sicilian family recipes coupled with fresh seafood. Don Francesco was opened by Francesco Alongi in 2002 with his experience in Italian food dating to 1975 (where he opened his first Italian restaurant in Vancouver – which had since closed). Today, Don Francesco is is located right across from Sutton Place Hotel on Burrard street in a small corner unit. They are known as a fine-dining Italian cuisine for romantic dinners along with their impeccable service. Prices are on the higher end even for fine Italian dining in downtown Vancouver. Known for their delicious Ceasar salad, lobster linguine, and home-made deserts.
“The food was excellent! True Italian meal! The portions are huge but worth every bite! If you are looking for a good true Italian meal with a beautiful setting, this is the place to go! Will be back!” – Vantoptours M (Trip Advisor)
Address: 860 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1X9
We haven’t quite made up our mind about the fifth recommendation of Italian restaurants to try in Vancouver so we’d like you to have the input. Some further considerations are Yaletown L’Antipasto, Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill & Enoteca, Italian Kitchen, Trattoria. There are too many wonderful Italian restaurants in Vancouver to choose from. Yaletown L’Antipasto is well known for authentic Italian food. Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill & Enoteca is also nestled in Yaletown, serving delicious Italian and Mediterranean food by Giuseppe “Pino” Posteraro; they truly make phenomenal food including their home-made pasta with a fresh taste to their dishes. Italian Kitchen is part of the Glowbal group of restaurants and have been known for precisely cooked Italian food, professionally prepared for a delicious meal. Trattoria is another Vancouver favourite for Italian food once again by the Glowbal Group. All of these make excellent options for Italian restaurants in Vancouver.
Thanks for reading our suggestions of the top 5 must-try Italian restaurants in Vancouver. If you have any suggestions or disagreements, please share in the comments bellow.
Top 5 Best Italian Restaurants